The texts for the Washington State Leadership Academy represent a common set of materials that are shared by all participants of the Leadership Academy, regardless of region. The texts were identified by the Curriculum Design Team in the development phase of the Academy and modified as appropriate. While still holding high value as a resource, several are no longer required reading.
Year One Books
- Elmore, Richard (2004); School Reform From the Inside Out: Policy, Practice, and Performance. Harvard Education Press.
- Copland, Michael and Knapp, Michael (2006); Connecting Leadership With Learning: A Framework for Reflection, Planning and Action. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Marzano, R., Waters, T., McNulty, B. (2005); School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
Year Two Books
- Marzano, Robert J. (2007); The Art and Science of Teaching. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Marzano, Robert J. and Waters, Timothy (2009); District Leadership That Works: Striking the Right Balance. Solution Tree Press.
- City, Elizabeth A.; Elmore, Richard F.; Fiarman, Sarah E.; and Teitel, Lee (2009). Instructional Rounds in Education: A Network Approach to Improving Teaching and Learning. Harvard Education Press.
View Curriculum pages for select articles and resources by strand.
Reading for Coaches
Below is a list of books examined by coaches in their trainings:
- Start With Why by Simon Sinek
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C. Maxwell
- Switch by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- Mindset by Carol S. Dweck
- Motion Leadership: The Skinny on Becoming Change Savvy by Michael Fullan
- Professional Capital: Transforming Teaching in Every School by Andy Hargreaves and Michael Fullan
Additional Reading Resources
- The Six Keys to Teacher Engagement: Unlocking the Doors to Top Teacher Performance by Cathie E. West (Routledge 2013)
- Leadership Teaming: The Superintendent-Principal Relationship by Cathie E. West and Mary Lynne Derrington (Corwin Press, 2009)